Casio's New EXILIM EX-TR50 Selfie-Cam
The next evolution of Casio’s market leading selfie camera gets upgraded innards and a new look for the Autumn/Winter 2014 season
With Sony’s new perfume bottle and Nikon’s recent…err… plain old compact camera with a forward facing screen attempting to play catch up in the rapidly growing selfie-cam market, Casio’s latest release, the EXILIM EX-TR50, is a gentle reminder to their rivals that it’s going to take a lot more than front-facing screens and pandering to the fashionistas’ love for kitch to take them on in the market they created.
Like its predecessor, the EX-TR35 (which we reviewed earlier this year), the EX-TR50 sports a design that allows the camera and screen to swivel 180 degrees in the frame (continuous), has excellent build quality (made in Japan), and offers an easy to use interface.
The camera’s styling has been updated with the simple elegance of the previous model now replaced with a more appealing style (if you’re the sort of person who buys a selfie cam) and new, vivid colour options (unfashionable people might say garish).
The upgrades we care about, however, are more than skin deep: this new selfie-cam has a larger 1/17” CMOS sensor like the one in CASIO’s flagship EX-100 (we reviewed that one too), paired with a new molded glass lens to let in more light and finer detail. The EX-TR50’s dual CPU and two parallel image processors speed up focusing and allow the camera to boot up and fire off that first shot faster. The upgraded internals also drive the make-up and skin tone enhancements which probably need to work extra hard to cover up all the small, pores and pimples that the new sensor and lens are bound to pick up.
While we’re still befuddled at the existence of the selfie cam market, the fashionistas in it seem to love to throw their money away. Okay then, better to throw it at Casio and their human-race-improving R&D than some boring French saddle company that peddles poo-colored handbags.
General Specs: CASIO EXILIM EX-TR50
- Photo Resolution: 11.1 megapixels
- Video: Full-HD (1920x1080)
- Built-In Memory: 49.9 mb
- Flash Memory Expandable: Micro SD
- Recording Functions: Posing Shot, Triple Shot, Self portrait Shutter, Remote Capture, Send Last Shot, Snapshot (Auto mode / Premium Auto Pro mode ), Makeup BKT, Motion Shutter, BEST SHOT, HDR, HDR-ART, HS Night Scene, HS Night Scene Portrait, Food, Nails, Art Shot (Snapshot), Movie (with sound only when 30fps of Full HD and HD ), Face Detection
- Playback Functions: Promotion Movie, Image Send (Send to phone / View on phone ), Multi-image Screen, Playback Zoom, BGM Slideshow, Movie Editing, Paint, Cut Out subject, Paste Subject, Protect, Rotate, Resize, Trimming
- Connectivity: Micro USB, Micro HDMI
- Wireless: Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11b/g/n
- Dimensions: 126 mm (W) x 64 mm (H) x 14.6 mm (D)