Sony - Full-frame mirrorless 4K camera "α7S"
Sony has just unveiled a palm-sized 12.2MP full-frame mirrorless camera - α7S - with ultra-high sensitivity 35mm full-frame sensor, that is able to shoot 4K videos.
It combines sensitivity up to ISO 409600 with low noise, using Sony’s new 12.2-megapixel 35mm full-frame Exmor CMOS image sensor and optimized high-speed BIONZ X image processing engine.
Sony says that the sensor reads out image data from every pixel, even during Full HD and 4K movie output (which requires a 4K compatible recorder). Depending on device compatibility, recording and output of FUll HD movies are 60p (50p), 60i (50i), 30p (25p) and 24p frame rates, as well as output of 4K movies at a 30p or 24p frame rate. Both resolutions are available at both full-frame and APS-C (Super 35mm equivalent) sizes.
In the α7S, Sony introduces the BIONZ X image processing engine, which reproduces super-fine textures and details in real time, via extra high-speed processing capabilities. It uses front-end LSI (large scale integration) that accelerates processing in the earliest stages to enable more natural details, with lower noise.
It also provides the high-bit-rate XAVC S format, available for the first time in an α camera. It enables Full HD at 50Mbps, and employs Long GOP (Group of Pictures) data compression for efficient movie recording.
There are a number of advanced movie functions included that are meant to assist professionals:
- Picture Profile: Fine-tune the look of movies before shooting by adjusting gradation. Settings can be saved as profiles (up to 7) and can be recalled later.
- S-Log2 gamma setting: Sony proprietary setting featured in professional camcorders creating a wider dynamic range and smooth gradation
- Time code / User bit: Various functions to manage the time code of recordings
- 120fps (100fps) shooting at HD resolution: Broadens image expression, allowing 5x slow-motion effects
- Weight: Approx. 446g (489g with battery and Memory Stick PRO Duo)
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 126.9 x 94.4 x 48.2mm
- Lens Mount: α E-mount
- Image Sensor Type: 35mm full frame (35.6 x 23.8mm), Exmor CMOS sensor
- Image Sensor Number of pixels: Approx. 12.2 megapixels effective (12.4m total)
- Clean HDMI Output: 3840×2160 / 1920×1080 / YCbCr 4:2:2 8bit/ RGB 8bit
- Media: Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Memory Stick XC-HG Duo, SD memory card, SDHC memory card (UHS-I compliant), SDXC memory card (UHS-I compliant)
- Media (slot): Multi slot for Memory Stick Duo / SD Memory card
- Viewfinder Type: XGA OLED, 1.3cm (0.5 type) electronic viewfinder (color)
- LCD Screen: 7.5cm (3.0 type) TFT drive
- Output: Wi-Fi, NFC, etc.