Got LTE? Mobile Market State of the Union from Eurotechnology Japan
Eurotechnology Japan is led by its founder Dr. Gerhard Fasol. He has worked in and with the academic, research, and business communities of Japan’s high-tech sector for over 25 years. Eurotechnology Japan is a technology-focused business development, strategy, and M&A advisory and implementation firm.
• • •
ERICSSON BUSINESS INNOVATION FORUM – TOKYO
Ericsson held the Business Innovation Forum in the Roppongi Hills Tower in Tokyo on October 31 and November 1, 2013 delivering a great overview of the push and pull of the mobile communications industry: technology push, M2M and user pull, as well as how the mobile operators between technology and users can best make customers happy and at the same time monetize their investments, while “Over The Top” (OTT) new comers (Google, YouTube, Amazon.com, Facebook, Twitter and others) seek to disrupt the good old telecommunications world.
Here some key take-aways, read more below:
- About 50% of global smartphone, mobile phone and mobile broadband subscriptions are in Asia-Pacific, making Asia-Pacific the most important region in the world, and Japan one of the most important LTE markets.
- Switch from voice to data is a differentiator: forerunner telcos see rapid growth (10-12% CAGR) for both revenues and EBITDA over the period 2008-2013, while average telcos see stagnation. The key for telcos is to be a forerunner, rather than an average stagnating telco.
- Many products such as XBOX or Apple’s SIRI are linked via networks to a data center. Networks and data centers are disruptive innovation for games and many other sectors. Maybe cars as well.
- Open source is coming to software defined networks (SDN), the OpenDayLight community develops software for software defined networks.
- Software defined networks create virtualized networks, SDN support “network slices” for different applications. API’s open SDNs to users.
- Manufacturers and other industries have rationalized a long time ago, telcos have not yet rationalized, creating big opportunities.
• • •
Copyright·©2013 ·Eurotechnology Japan KK·All Rights Reserved