LG Electronics - LG G Flex - Curved form to fit the contour of faces and back pockets
In a first in the smartphone market, LG has unveiled the LG G Flex which is curved from top to bottom. The company says that the design was made possible through special innovations with the display and battery.
It will be available in Korea starting in November, with other markets to be announced in the future.
According to LG, the vertical curve of the G Flex allows the phone's microphone to be closer to the user's mouth when the device is held against the ear. The company says that the phone employs a curvature arc that is optimized for the average face to deliver improved voice and sound quality and the curved form increases sound level by 3dB compared with that of flat smartphones.
The company also says that the curved shape allows the G Flex to fit more comfortably in one's back pocket, so presumably, the phone fits nicely around more than just one's face.
LG Electronics is touting the innovation incorporated into the phone through collaboration with sister companies, LG Display and LG Chem. The 6-inch display in the G Flex is the world's largest plastic OLED (POLED) display specifically developed and produced for smartphones, built on plastic substrates instead of glass to allow for its unique shape and durability. And the display is brighter and more precise because of the application of Real RGB, which contains all three sub-pixels - red, green, blue - in one pixel.
The LG Flex also features the world's first curved battery technology, using LG Chem's patented Stack & Folding technology, and despite its thin form, has a capacity of 3,500mAh.
Other interesting features of the LG G Flex:
- "Self Healing" on the back cover - elastic coating that has the ability to recover from wear-and-tear scratches and nicks
- Rear Key, first introduced in the LG G2 - allows for the elimination of side buttons that can be inadvertently pushed causing power-off, and easy one finger volume control during conversations
- MP3, CD quality or 24 bit/192kHz Hi-Fi playback.
- UX features found in the LG G2, such as KnockON, Guest Mode and Plug & Pop
New UX features:
- QTheater gives users quick access to photos, videos and YouTube right from the lock screen. By touching the screen and dragging outward along the curved surface with both fingers, the apps appear with the effect of theater curtains being drawn
- Dual Window divides the wide 6-inch screen into two separate windows for more effective multitasking
- Swing Lockscreen alters the image on the lockscreen depending on how the G Flex is held
- Face Detection Indicator displays the LED on the Rear Key in green to confirm status of face detection and focus
- Camera Timer flashes the Rear Key LED to indicate that the countdown has begun
- Urgent Call Alert flashes the LED on the Rear Key in red when several consecutive calls from the same person go unanswered
Key Specifications (Korean Version):
- Chipset: 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 800 (MSM 8974)
GPU: Adreno 330, 450MHz
- Display: 6-inch HD (1280 x 720), Curved P-OLED (Real RGB)
- Memory: 2GB LP DDR3 RAM / 32GB eMMc
- Camera: Rear 13.0MP / Front 2.1MP
- Battery: 3,500mAh (embedded)
- Operating System: Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2
- Size: 160.5 x 81.6 x 7.9 - 8.7mm
- Weight: 177g
- Network: LTE-A / LTE / HSPA+ / GSM
- Connectivity: BT 4.0 / USB 3.0 compatible / WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac) / NFC
- Color: Titan Silver
- Other: TDMB / Hi-Fi 24bit, 192kHz Playback